Get a Business Degree in Leadership Online
Great leaders create great businesses, schools, and non-profit organizations. Move ahead by earning a business leadership degree online!
What is business leadership?
The ideas of leadership and management are closely related. Still, an important difference between managers and leaders is power. A manager has formal power to influence certain people. On the other hand, a leader — regardless of whether he or she has formal power – relies on interpersonal power. He or she influences people by applying leadership skills.
From the viewpoint of a business, an ideal manager has both business skills and leadership skills. Therefore, business leadership training involves two key components: 1) learning the fundamentals of different areas of business such as accounting, human resources, and marketing, and 2) developing effective interpersonal skills. Business leaders have the knowledge to make the right business decisions, and they have the people skills to lead co-workers in the right direction, too.
What can I do with a business leadership degree?
A business leadership degree is essentially a business degree with an emphasis on developing management skills. Many students who pursue a business degree in leadership plan to become chief executive officers or otherwise hold high positions within traditional for-profit businesses.
However, business leadership degree programs can also benefit people who work in education, government, the non-profit sector, and other areas of the workforce. Employers know that a leadership degree in business can help people lead more effectively in a variety of contexts. At the same time, a more specific degree – such as one designed especially for leadership in education or leadership in engineering – might be more in line with some students’ career goals.
What courses are taken in an online business leadership degree program?
Business leadership students take general business classes such as accounting, finance, and business ethics. They also study employee motivation, team building, leadership ethics, and other topics from organizational psychology.
Which schools offer business leadership degrees online?
Below is a sampling of bachelor’s and master’s degree programs that are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or one of its subsidiaries. Remember that any school can call itself accredited, but in most cases, only the business leadership programs that are accredited by a CHEA-endorsed agency will be worth your time and money. The CHEA website posts a PDF file of reputable accrediting agencies.
Online undergraduate programs in business leadership
- Duquesne University, a private Catholic school in Pittsburgh, awards the Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies for online study. Students choose between concentrations in Organizational Leadership and Nonprofit Leadership.
- Southern New Hampshire University offers an online program leading to the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration and Organizational Leadership degree.
Online graduate programs in business leadership
- The City University of Seattle Online features a Master of Arts in Leadership degree program for individuals working in for-profit, non-profit, health care, government, education, and service sectors.
- Duquesne University in Pittsburgh awards the Master of Science in Leadership and the Master of Science in Global Leadership for successful completion of their online program.
- New England College was built to serve war veterans in 1946. Today the college reaches the internet generation with its online Master of Science in Management – Strategic Leadership and Master of Science in Nonprofit Leadership programs. Most students graduate within two years.
- New York University awards the Master of Science in Management and Systems with a concentration in Strategy and Leadership. This degree can be taken completely online through a combination of live lectures, internet forums, emails, chats and live team sessions.
- The University of Denver was established in 1864 and is a premier US university. Denver now offers a Master of Professional Studies in Leadership and Organizations online. The program trains students to effectively lead in business, government, and non-profit organizations.
- The University of Phoenix offers degrees at every level of business leadership. The school’s Doctor of Management in Organizational Leadership program is open to those who have a 3.0 or higher GPA, a master’s degree, and meet several other requirements. Students must attend residential workshops in Phoenix, AZ.