Earn an International Business Degree Online
International business has been conducted for millennia, but it has a new character in modern times. Contemporary means of communication and transportation have contributed to unprecedented growth in international commerce. These factors, as well as ever-changing domestic and international regulations, have added complexity and made formal training in international business even more important. The demand for highly educated international businesspeople is skyrocketing, and students worldwide are training accordingly.
What is international business?
International business includes all commercial transactions, both public (governmental) and private, that take place between countries. International business encompasses investments as well as the sale of goods and services. Students of international business generally learn another language and study foreign cultures in addition to learning about international trade agreements, export regulations, and other political/economic topics.
What careers are available in international business?
Earning an international business degree online will prepare you for a wide range of careers. International business encompasses areas as diverse as accounting, corporate culture, environmental standards, and international law. However, most positions involve sales and marketing.
Here are some career titles in international business:
- Cultural adviser
- International Account Executive
- International Bank Manager
- International Bookkeeper
- International Buyer
- International Financial Planner
- International Marketing Specialist
- International Product Manager
- International Realtor
- International Stock Broker
- International Travel Agent
Do all international business jobs require traveling?
Many students of international business specialize in particular countries and regions. However, this doesn’t necessarily mean that they travel or reside overseas; international businesspeople can work domestically and liaise with a foreign representative. Of course, communicating with a representative in another time zone may require working at unusual hours.
What degrees are available in international business?
Bachelor’s and master’s degrees in international business are available online. Graduate certificates in international business are also awarded for online study. In international business, advanced degrees are especially meaningful. Highly qualified employees are rewarded with significantly higher salaries and opportunities.
- Online bachelor’s degrees in international business
In the United States, a B.A. or B.S. in international business is the minimum requirement for an entry-level position in that field. Undergraduate students analyze policies and become familiar with case studies in order to understand international marketing, international law, and other aspects of global business. Students are also encouraged or required to study a second language.
- Master’s degrees in international business
The most common master’s-level degree in international business is the Master of Business Administration, or MBA, which covers a wide range of topics. Some degree programs, such as the Master of International Management, are focused on a specific aspect of international business. Many master’s programs only accept students who have mastered a language in addition to English.
- Graduate certificates in international business
If a full master’s program in international business is not quite right for you, consider earning a certificate. Graduate certificate programs are available to experienced international business managers. Such programs generally require students to complete three to six courses. Later on, students may apply these credits to a master’s degree program.
Which schools offer international business degrees online?
Below is a sampling of online international business degree programs. Each is accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
Choosing a CHEA-endorsed school is important! It helps ensure that your online international business degree will be valued by domestic and international employers. Furthermore, such schools are more likely to grant federal scholarships and permit military personnel to apply their tuition benefits.
Online bachelor’s programs in international business
- Colorado Technical University Online has a bachelor’s program in business administration with an international business concentration. Students with no previous college or military training can complete the degree program online in about 2 ½ years. Students who have more preparation may graduate within 15 months.
- Columbia Southern University offers an online bachelor’s program entitled Business Administration and International Management. Graduation requires completing 121 semester hours.
- The University of Maryland, now one of the world’s largest online schools, awards the bachelor of science in global business and public policy. Students must complete 120 hours of coursework to graduate.
Online graduate programs in international business
- California State University in Dominguez Hills offers online training for the MBA degree with a concentration in international business. The 30-33 unit curriculum can be completed within 18 months.
- Salem International University offers an accelerated 1-year MBA program in international business.
- The University of Maryland has an online Master of International Management degree program for mid-career professionals. The 36-to-39-credit program offers four areas of specialization: energy resources management and policy; international commerce; international finance; and international marketing.
- The University of Texas at Dallas offers a flex-time executive MBA program in global leadership. The 53-credit-hour program can be completed online in 29 months.