Earn an Online Business Management Degree
What is business management?
If you’re considering an online business management degree, you might also be considering an online business degree. What is the difference between business and business management? A degree in business tends to involve specializing in the knowledge and skills used in accounting, human resources, sales, or another particular area of business. On the other hand, a degree in business management involves organizing and directing an organization’s overall goals and operations. Some topics studied in business management courses include employee motivation, public relations, and workplace safety.
A business management degree program is generally designed for a variety of work environments. Through a general business management program, students can learn to be business managers for corporations, schools, and non-profit organizations. However, it’s also possible to specialize in a particular aspect of business management such as business management for the construction industry, the hotel industry, international companies, or non-profit organizations.
Which schools offer online degrees in business management?
It’s easy to find schools that offer online business management degrees. The trickier step is choosing wisely to ensure that your degree will be meaningful to employers. For starters, remember that employers generally only value degree programs that are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). In most cases, only the programs that are accredited by a CHEA-endorsed group will be worth your time and money. See the CHEA website for a list of reputable accrediting agencies.
A wide variety of schools offer online degrees. Some, like George Washington University, have long been established as traditional universities. Others were established in recent years and do not have physical campuses. A school does not need to have a physical campus in order to become accredited; the Distance Education and Training Council accredits many of these schools, and it’s affiliated with the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
Here is a sampling of accredited online programs in business management:
Online bachelor’s in business management:
- The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is the world’s largest provider of online education. UMUC students can earn a bachelor’s in management studies, human resource management, and a variety of other business disciplines entirely online.
- DeVry University offers an online bachelor’s program in business management with concentrations in health services, hospitality, human resources, operations, project management, and small business management & entrepreneurship.
- The University of Phoenix offers courses online and on campuses across the United States. Students can choose any combination of online and on-campus courses. Bachelor’s degrees in business management are available with concentrations in Green and Sustainable Enterprise Management, Retail Management, Small Business Management, and several other areas.
Online master’s in business management:
- California Coast University offers a unique self-paced Master of Science in Management program; courses are not structured by semesters or other traditional timeframes, and students may begin their studies at any time of year. Successful applicants have already earned a bachelor’s degree that relates to business management or are otherwise able to demonstrate knowledge of management principles.
- George Washington University conducts a variety of graduate degree programs in business online. Some courses require taking a proctored or on-campus final exam.
- Florida International University School of Hospitality & Tourism Management offers an online Master of Science in Hospitality Management program and an online Executive Master of Science in Hospitality Management.
- Florida Tech University Online offers an online management-focused MBA program that can be completed within two years.
- The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) awards online master’s degrees in international management, accounting and financial management, and several related disciplines.
- The University of Phoenix offers courses online and on campuses across the United States. The University of Phoenix’s Master in Management program is open to individuals with three or more years of work experience and at least 35 college credits.