Degrees That Give Business Grads an Edge – OnlineBusinessDegree.org
There is probably not a coherent person around who isn’t aware of the prevalence of social media in today’s society. Think about it. What individual or organization doesn’t have a Facebook page or a Twitter account? What business owner isn’t on LinkedIn? Savvy businesspeople know if they want their businesses to be successful, then a strong online presence is necessary.
Along with the boom in social media and networking comes the need for businesses to implement effective online and social media marketing strategies. Recent studies have shown that small businesses are investing more time and money into social media.
Social media marketing falls under the umbrella of online marketing. Graduates preparing to enter into the business world will make themselves more marketable if they are adept in this field. With the proper social media education, graduates can land several different careers, which include social media managers, social media marketing managers, as well as jobs in public relations.
Here are some schools that offer online degrees or certificates in social media and Internet marketing:
- Southern New Hampshire University: Students pursuing a bachelor’s degree in marketing with a concentration in social media marketing will take courses that teach them how to target and engage online communities, grow those communities, and use them to spread brand messaging to new audiences. SNHU is a private university regionally accredited by the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education of the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. The business programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Touro University Worldwide: TUW offers students the option of obtaining a graduate certificate in social media marketing or pursuing a social media marketing concentration as part of their MBA program. Students in the 12-credit certificate program will take the following courses: social media, social media marketing campaign, marketing strategies, and social media marketing strategy. TUW, based in Orange County, Calif. is a private, not-for-profit university regionally accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
- Northeastern University: NEU, based in Boston, offers a Master of Science in Corporate and Organizational Communication with a concentration in social media and online communities. Students in this 45-quarter hour degree program will learn the fundamentals of writing and public speaking as well as interviewing, intercultural communication and crisis management. They will also choose five courses for the social media concentration, which explore various aspects of the digital era. NEU is a private, not-for-profit university regionally accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) Commission on Institutions of Higher Education.
- Full Sail University: Based in Winter Park, Fla., for-profit Full Sail University offers a bachelor’s and master’s degree in Internet marketing. Students pursuing the bachelor’s degree will have coursework introducing market fundamentals, terminology and concepts of Internet marketing, as well as how the cornerstones of web design and technology affect online marketing. The master’s degree program is more advanced with curriculum that includes courses in Internet-specific marketing methodologies, Internet law, interactive advertising design principles, and how to utilize social media networks and search engine optimization. Full Sail University is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- University of Denver: Students can pursue a master’s degree or a graduate certificate in organizational and professional communication with a specialty in new media and Internet marketing through the school’s University College. The master’s degree requires completion of 48 credit hours, while the certificate requires completion of 24 credit hours. Both programs prepare graduates to design, manage, and measure multi-channel, integrated marketing and optimization strategies. The University of Denver is a private, not-for-profit school regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Follow Valerie Jones on Twitter @ValerieJ_tweets