Degrees Leading to Business, IT Careers – OnlineBusinessDegree.org
Computers and their inner workings not only play a major role in people’s everyday lives, but they also have a significant impact on the daily functions and operations of a business. People interested in learning more about this might consider pursuing a degree in computer information systems (CIS).
Computer information systems bridge the fields of business and computer science. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, a bachelor’s degree in computer information systems can lead to numerous jobs in computer and information technology, a growing career fields. Some of these jobs include computer systems analysts, database administrators, and computer network architects.
Graduates can also land jobs as computer and information systems managers, who make an average of $115,780 a year.
Here are a few schools that offer online bachelor’s degrees in computer information systems:
- Saint Leo University: Through its online division, private, not-for-profit Saint Leo University offers students a Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems. The 120-credit degree program is accredited by the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE). Students will acquire the analytical tools needed to solve complex business problems as well as critical thinking and leadership skills. Curriculum will explore Visual Basic, C/C++, JAVA, information security, decision support systems, systems analysis and designs, database concepts and programming, network theory and design, information technology, and project management. Saint Leo University is regionally accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Bellevue University: Students pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems from Bellevue University can choose from one of four emphases to enhance their degree: business, information security, networking, and programming. The program is designed to provide wide academic depth with an emphasis in technology disciplines. Core curriculum includes courses such as management and design of database systems, business telecommunications, and ethics for IT professionals. Based in Nebraska, private, not-for-profit Bellevue University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Walden University: Students pursuing their bachelor’s in computer information systems from Walden University can choose from eight different concentrations to specialize their degree. Completion of the program requires 181 quarter credit hours. Students will take core courses in business and computer information systems, as well as courses for their chosen concentration. Graduates of the program will have the skills to work collaboratively within their organizations to analyze and evaluate information processing needs and construct solutions. Private, for-profit Walden University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Regis University: Regis University, based in Denver, Colo., offers a Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems, a program accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET. The 128-credit hour program is offered in accelerated five- and eight-week terms. Upper-level curriculum includes courses such as ethics for the information technology professional, e-commerce technology management, and modern software engineering. Regis University is a private institution regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Strayer University: Students pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Information Systems can choose from 13 different degree concentrations. Program coursework emphasizes technology communication skills, information literacy, abstract thinking, and critical analysis. Graduates of the program will have a foundational skill set to prepare them for management positions in programming, database management, web development, networking, internetworking, and security. Strayer University is a private, for-profit school regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
Schools: Top Online Business Degrees | Location Search Online Business Degrees By State
Follow Valerie Jones on Twitter @ValerieJ_tweets